Dusty working conditions, product loss, and environmental regulations make dust suppression an important aspect of many industries. This post covers what dust suppression is, what a dust suppressant is, and why dust control is important.
What is dust suppression?
Dust suppression is the process of using water or dust suppression products to restrict fine particles from becoming airborne. It’s an effective dust control practice for industries that work with dusty products or in dusty conditions.
What are dust suppressants?
A dust suppressant is a material used to control particulate matter. Some commonly-used dust suppressants include:
- Salts, such as calcium chloride and magnesium chloride
- Organic petroleum products, such as asphalt emulsions
- Organic non-petroleum products, like lignosulfonates, vegetable oils, and tall oil
- Synthetic polymers
Dust suppressants can be applied at strategic locations in factories and processing plants to prevent dust from kicking up. Additionally, dust suppressants can be used to capture fugitive dust in the air and bring it down to the ground.
Why is dust suppression important?
Dust control is important for:
- Health: Dust particles that get trapped in the lungs can have serious health consequences.
- Safety: Dust can limit visibility and contribute to accidents. In some contexts, it can cause explosions.
- Preserving Vegetation: Uncontrolled dust can negatively impact vegetation.
- Minimizing Product Loss: Dust suppressants can help keep your product intact, which is important for industries like fertilizer and construction aggregates.
- Minimizing Road Maintenance: Roads that have been treated with dust suppressants can experience less gravel loss, and therefore require less road maintenance than untreated roads.
When developing your dust control solution, consider which parts of your workflow produce the most dust, how these spots impact operations, and where dust prevention will pay off the most.
If you have questions or would like to discuss working with us, feel free to reach out!